Let's Talk About Cupcakes
So I know they are kind of passé now but I can freely admit, I still love them. Love buying them and love making them. Though they are my 2nd love, after macarons.
WAY back in 2006, I was in California for a vacation with E and met up with Candace too. I feel like we crisscrossed our way over that state during the worst heat wave ever. Flew in to San Francisco, went up to Napa & Sonoma, drove down to Big Basin Redwoods State Park and then drove all the way over to Modesto so we could meet Candace and go to Yosemite National Park. But we weren't finished! Made our way back to Monterey, Carmel, then down to Big Sur, Buellton & Solvang (for a little bit of Sideways) then Montecito (where we stayed at Charlie Chaplin's Inn, built in 1928) and finally, Los Angeles.
It was in Los Angeles that Candace & I started being obsessed with the perfect cupcake. Every time we would meet up, we would research where we could find the best cupcake. Sometimes this meant eating lots and lots of cupcakes (hard work, I tell you). And some were terrible (Joan's on Third, Kyotofu). But we have found some winners over the years.
Well, I think I've found a winner in my own city. And to think, I originally went there for the macarons (which were okay but I think I need to do more research and buy some more because I didn't eat them right away, which you really must do with both macarons and cupcakes).
This is the Red Velvet Cupcake from Bobbette & Belle. They use a cream cheese frosting, which is the way I believe Red Velvet anything, should be made. What I liked about this cupcake was 1) the cake was very moist and 2) both the cake and the icing were not super sweet, which is the way I like my baked goods. I was really pleasantly surprised by this Cupcake. Which means I will now have to go and try ALL of their flavours and do taste comparisons. Not all at once, mind you, because then oink, oink.

No comments:
Post a Comment