Wednesday, April 06, 2011

An Ode To My Online Peeps


Okay, I never use the word "peeps" in everyday life, but felt it was appropriate for this post.


Back in the Spring of 2003, I started blogging.  And through blogging & swapping (teas, not partners), I met some pretty fabulous women who I happen to still be friends with now, even though I have never met them in real life.  Those who know me would find it hard to believe this could even be possible.  Me, who is naturally sceptical and trusts NO ONE, being okay with becoming friends and sharing personal information with people I only know cyberly (is that even a word or the correct spelling?)?  I mean, they could have been psychopaths, or old men actually living in Russia, only drinking vodka (and lying about liking tea).  But I guess the sceptic in me also means I have a good gut feeling about people because, as it turns out, they were none of these things!  They were cool, funny, interesting, generous & talented.


(I also want to include my friend, Candace in here, but we met under totally different circumstances.  In 2002.  Online, yes.  And how ironic to find out she was Canadian but living in the US?  I'm not going to share what brought us together except, it rhymes with dope.)


So where I'm going with this is, I received a fun little birthday surprise from one of the fabulous women I met back in 2003.  I've always thought of Steph as an old soul.  When we first emailed she was in her early 20s and I was, well, I was in my 30s (ahem).  Let's just say I was significantly older but I wouldn't say any wiser because she was (and is) wise & smart.  And now she's this amazing Young Adult author who wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door and a yet-to-be-published short story about Jack White as a Ghost Whisperer/Black Orchid Grower, which I am dying to read one day.


When I was contemplating taking a shot of what she sent, I started thinking of what some of these other tea swapping women had sent me over the years too, and thought I'd add them into the picture.  But truly, the main thing I've gotten from meeting them all online is a camaraderie with people in far places.  Knowing that the world or my friendships aren't just in one small place, but are all over.  It's nice to have them in my life.




Steph sent me this cute heart cup & saucer which happens to be Japanese!  LOVE.  And what, pray tell, is in it?  That would be some Ginger Lemongrass Chai Latte (and why I am up late blogging) that mllea sent me from over the pond, as well as the awesome flavoured chocolates from Zotter next to it, that she sends to fulfill my cravings.  And who is protecting that package of Chai Latte?  That would the Sumo Wrestler Elaine sent me last year.  I know "cute" doesn't come to mind when describing a Sumo Wrestler, but I think he is (and he has an opponent too).  Steph is also introducing me to French Broad Chocolates, and I am very excited to try them, one by one.  She also clearly knows my obession for list making.  And everything is on top of the fish printed tea towel Stef sent a few years ago.  I am a Pisces and have an obsession with fish.  I don't like to catch them but I do love most anything about them.


Of course I have some great real life friends too.  I think I have mentioned before that about 10 years ago I did a major weeding of my garden (ie. I purged a lot of people from my life that were toxic to me).  So the friends left are truly old & dear, with my BFF being someone I met in grade 8 at the age of 12.  We have been through a lot together.  Different paths, definitely, but we managed to stay friends.  That doesn't always happen.  I also have a GBF and I love him to pieces.


Sorry for the love fest.  I guess I'm feeling really thankful for what I have right now.  Being at the hospital with my Dad today made me realize how even more important it is to have friends who care about you & who will be there for you, when you don't have a significant other or children.  I always joke that when I'm old & grey, the ones who are single will all live together in one big house and take care of each other.  I will be alone when my parents pass away, as in, I don't have any immediate family besides them.  Sometimes I wish I had a brother or a sister.

2 comments:

Stephanie Perkins said...

"Knowing that the world or my friendships aren't just in one small place, but are all over. It's nice to have them in my life."

Yes, this. :)

I am so, so, so happy and honored to be in your life. I love you, Deb. Can you believe it's been almost a DECADE?

Also . . . I love the Jack White mention. Hee hee! It's one of my favorite projects to tinker around with on the side. If I ever finish it, you and Kiersten (Jack's other big supporter) will get the dedication!

D said...

Eeek, almost a decade?! :)

Man, you don't know how much I want to read that Jack White story!! I really hope you finish it one day. Before I die (as my Mom would say!)!

Post a Comment