TIFF Round-up
Well it's that time of the year again where I share with you my reviews of the films I watched during the Festival. I'm sure you've all been eagerly awaiting this. So in order of what I liked to what I liked least, I present:
#1 You're Next (Hanway Films 2012)
I guess from this photo you can tell this is a horror film, right? Actually, it's horror comedy that takes home invasion to a whole other level. Basically, a dysfunctional family get together for the parents' wedding anniversary (the Mom is played by Barbara Crampton who I loved back in the day when she played Leanna Love on Y & R, also one of the many Mindys on GL - I was a soapie in my teens) and it all goes to hell when they are attacked by unknown assailants who like to use crossbows and wear animal masks (I wanted one!). The thing that makes this film stand out is: 1) the great inappropriate moments of humour where I felt a little dirty laughing when I should be cringing & shutting my eyes, 2) excellent ensemble cast, 3) great kills (sorry, I love horror so creativity scores high points for me) and 4) Sharni Vinson, who is total kick-ass!
Here are some photos I took during the Midnight Madness Q & A:
See what I mean about the masks? Colin Geddes (Midnight Madness Programmer) and Simon Barrett (Writer of You're Next) were both wearing one!
The cast (Barbara Crampton is 3rd from the left & Sharni Vinson is 2nd from the right). I'm not going to lie but G2 & I made fun of Sharni's outfit when we saw her pass us outside in line, not knowing who she was. Now that I know her, I will still make fun of her outfit.
And this may be a bit of a spoiler but, there is one song played repeatedly during the movie and now I want to listen to it all the time!
#1 (tied) The Artist (La Petite Reine 2011)
I loved this movie. It is a silent film (truly silent with no talking) and it is in black and white. Totally after my old movie loving heart. Jean Dujardin who played George Valentin had this Douglas Fairbanks Sr./Errol Flynn thing kind of going on and he was magnificent, as was Berenice Bejo, who played Peppy Miller (I want to rename myself Peppy!). The story takes place around the time talkies were coming into existence and shows George's struggle with the change. And he's always accompanied by his cute dog, played in real life by Uggy, the dog. Go see it!
Here is a photo of Jean Dujardin that I took at the Q & A:
Handsome man, non?
#1 (tied) Snowtown (Screen Australia 2011)
I was drawn to this film because it is a true crime story involving serial killers from Australia. This is an astonishing first feature film by Justin Kurzel, told from the point of view of a Stepson who was dominated by his murdering Stepfather, and becomes like him. This isn't a feel good movie. It's depressing, grim, dark & hopeless. But very good, though I admit, it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. Outstanding performances from Daniel Henshall & Lucas Pittaway (his 1st film!).
#1 (tied) Paul Williams Still Alive (2011)
I was a little young when Paul Williams was famous and at his peak. But I do remember him as a guest star on The Love Boat, among other '70s TV shows. I also remember he wrote The Rainbow Connection and a ton of other songs, including the theme for, once again, The Love Boat. I also remember he was short. For some reason, when I saw this documentary would be showing at TIFF, I really wanted to see it. I wanted to find out what Paul Williams was up to and I just thought it would be an interesting film. And I was right! Paul is brutally honest in this documentary yet so wise, generous & thankful now. He was a drug addict and alcoholic during his heyday and by all accounts, an asshole too. He is taken back to his past by Director, Stephen Kessler and we find out how he feels about that time. It's a very funny journey, but emotional too.
#5 Himizu (GAGA 2011)
I think Shion Sono is becoming one of my favourite Japanese Directors. Last year it was Cold Fish, this year he appeared at TIFF with Himizu. The story is set after this year's devastating earthquake & tsunami in Japan, and incorporates it into the plot of the well known manga. Sumida (played by Shota Sometani) and Keiko (played by Fumi Nikaido) have some pretty miserable parents and live pretty dismal lives. Add to that the worst natural disaster in the history of their country, they are basically holding on to their sanity & their normal routines by a thread. Shota-san and Fumi-san are incredible young actors. They definitely made the movie and in true Shion Sono form, it was weird & off kilter. I think some audience members didn't understand his message, but I did, loud and clear. It is almost like a love letter to his country and really made me cry.
#6 Smuggler (Warner Bros. 2011)
See, I've kind of noticed anything Satoshi Tsumabuki has been in since The Queen Of Lunch so it was cool to see him in this (and evidently he's currently filming a movie for Takashi Miike, who I hope comes to TIFF one year!). Also, Masanobu Ando is in this and I've enjoyed him in the four films I've seen him in, on the big screen. This film is great at the beginning but loses steam towards the end. It had good comedic elements and some really unbelievable action shots (almost like works of art), interspersed with some crazy torturing going on, but it felt long to me (at 114 minutes, it is, but it felt longer). I appreciate what Director Katsuhito Ishii was doing and I *was* entertained. It just wasn't the best film ever.
A photo of Katsuhito Ishii that I took at Midnight Madness:
Dug his running shoes!
#7 The Lady (Europa Corp. 2011)
I feel a little guilty for not rating this movie higher, but I couldn't, despite being half Burmese and despite the subject matter! Obviously, this film tries to tell the story about Aung San Suu Kyi, but from the "love" point of view with her husband, Michael Aris. Unfortunately, it is not successful. It *is* successful in painting a picture of Burma and its political turmoil, especially for those who have no knowledge of the country. But the film is very long, and I felt it was lacking in character development or getting me to feel passion for the characters' hardships. Of course I did cry during certain scenes because I was familiar with actual events and it's hard to not be touched by what my people are going through, but I'm not sure other viewers would react the same way with no prior history. So I guess I will say that I really hope this film gets a wide distribution all over the world so that people will see what has been going on in Burma and hopefully, renew an interest in the outcome of their democracy fight.
#8 Intruders (Universal 2011)
I chose this movie because of Clive Owen. Yes, I can be shallow. But he could not save it. I was so totally bored during it and was not scared in the slightest. I'm thinking maybe I'm just immune to scariness now, what with all my horror movie watching? An example of how bored I was: I kept wanting the Mother of the "problem child" to get together with the Priest who was supposedly helping her child. The Catholic Priest. I mean, this wasn't even a plot point or going anywhere. Then again, I heard others gushing about this film and how it was the scariest thing they had ever seen. So, different strokes for different folks, I guess.








No comments:
Post a Comment