My movie contribution will be the fact I saw Jaws (Universal 1975) for the first time over the weekend. The showings at TIFF Bell Lightbox coincide with the new HD transfer to be released on DVD Blu-ray in August.
I remember as a kid knowing about Jaws, and hearing about it, but not being old enough to see it in the theatres. However, I did see Bruce, the mechanical shark used in the film, at Universal Studios in the '80s. So fake looking up close - lol. I think Jaws is great. It's like two parts. The fun & anticipation of Summer overshadowed by a killer in the waters and Roy Scheider's character, Chief Brody's struggle to make the danger known. And then the next part with man against nature, chasing the shark down & trying to kill him. It's really quite the action adventure, more so than horror. Richard Dreyfuss (who plays Hooper) looks so young in this film! He really did play a lot of memorable parts during the '70s and seeing him on the big screen made me realize how much I really do like his acting. I recommend seeing Jaws on the big screen. It's the perfect Summer movie.
After, Y & I went to Lou Dawg's for BBQ!
Had my favourite regular Poutine which I love because 1) It's not salty at all, 2) They use chicken bones to make the stock used in the gravy, and 3) It's piping hot. YUMMY.
Also decided I much prefer my ribs dry rubbed rather than saucy. I split this order with Y and it was so so good. The ribs were very meaty and just delicious.
I had a craving for Lobster Sashimi but alas, couldn't find any in Toronto. I'm sure there must be at least one place that serves it but wherever that place was, it wasn't serving it right when I needed it. So instead, I went to Yuzu and had their Lobster Tempura Maki.
Not quite the same but it had to do. And this picture was the right way when I took it & when I uploaded it to my computer but for whatever reason, it does not want to be now. Whatever.
The hot weather has been hard on my Mom's garden. The raspberries dried out. The weird weather this Spring also affected her apples. There are only a few. And no cherries or plums. I am sad. But there are some other things growing.
Tomatoes!
Concord grapes. Tons!
Beans. Again, upside down. WTF?
Pears.
My Mom wants to grow tons of sage & we've decided we will make lots of Sage Jelly this year (since there are no apples to make Applesauce or Apple Jelly with). I also have lots of rhubarb and I keep meaning to make some new rhubarb bitters this year. Last year's dried cherry bitters were fantastic so I want to experiment with more flavours.








No comments:
Post a Comment