Saturday, November 22, 2014

Life Update

Believe it or not, I DO think about this blog and how rarely I update. This year it's been 11 years since I first started this blog and that kind of blew me away. Except, it's not like I've been maintaining it. I just haven't felt inspired to blog, or journal, for that matter.

My Dad continues to decline but damn man, he is stubborn like hell. He started falling a lot in May and it was obvious that the cane he was using (which was total crap, like a piece of wood that could snap in half but NO, it was the cane he insisted on using) was no longer safe. It took a lot of convincing but he finally relented and started using a walker. Of course my Dad being Dad, had to get THREE. One for the basement (where he installed a stair lift), one for the house and one for going out. Obviously. 

His underweight issue finally caught up to him and his Gastroenterologist said it was a life & death situation now. If he did not gain any weight he would have to be put on a feeding tube. The Doctor stated this was a last resort because my Dad's stomach is behind his upper ribs due to the cancer surgery, and that makes it hard to insert. I swear to God my Dad has a fear of fat or is anorexic because he worries about gaining weight too fast (meanwhile, he was 120 pounds this Summer) & doesn't want to get fat. WTF? But I guess his Doctor's ultimatum put the fear of God in him and my Dad actually tried really really hard to gain weight over the last 2 months. I also started making all his meals & sneaking in probiotics & digestive enzymes. I keep the freezer filled with meal-sized containers & it's all healthy & diverse. Not the same crap day in & day out that he would insist on eating before. So he is now up to 128 pounds and for now, is not going to get a feeding tube. I was hoping the weight gain would mean he would be stronger & his walking would improve, but it hasn't really happened. This is a man who has never exercised a day in his life and it has caught up to him. Not to mention the fact he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I guess I'm a good Asian daughter but I also feel I am too caught up in my Dad's health. I feel like I haven't been taking the best care of myself this year (have had a pinched nerve in my neck since July). I try to socialize but I haven't even contemplated dating or *trying*. I think a part of me has decided I am single & this is it. It's okay because I never wanted kids but it has been bugging me a bit lately, especially since two of my girlfriends are now seeing someone & seem happy. Ah, LIFE.

Anyway, I do still watch old movies, because, duh, I am mad about them - always. I still like eating (maybe too much - haha) and hiking (hoping to do a lot of snowshoeing this Winter and I would LOVE to get back into figure skating). But I haven't been doing too much crafting.

I did declutter the scary room last year, which was a HUGE accomplishment for me. I still want to keep getting rid of things. I want to move but I feel I can't handle the stress on top of taking care of my Dad & working on my business. So that is a long-term goal. I'd have to choose where I'd want to live too.

I'll try and blog more frequently. Like I've said THAT before...

No comments:

Post a Comment