This is extremely after the fact but what the heck. Here are my reviews of the films I saw at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) 15. I don't even remember the last time I did this on my blog.
I will voice a little complaint about the Festival in general. I have been going for awhile and have been noticing the prices increasing year after year. It's sad really. Especially since it's the audience that made this Festival and now it seems like it has priced itself out of the real movie lovers. The slogan for the Festival, when it was called "The Festival of Festivals" was "The People's Festival". My joke this year is it is "The Old People's Festival" because most of the time it was older people at theatres, in line ups, in the movies. Or maybe it was the films I chose? This year it was $26.25 for a single ticket. I remember when it was under $20. The packages now have a service fee of $22. I remember when the fee was under $10. You get the gist.
Here are my rankings of the films I saw this year. I did no Japanese films this year (strange, I know) and no Midnight Madness. I guess I'm getting too old to do the Midnight thing and function the next day.
I enjoy the Silk Road Ensemble's music so maybe it meant more to me because of this but I thought it was a great documentary on the journey the group and a few individual musicians take that led them to the Ensemble. I went to the Premiere and the crowd gave a standing ovation and just went crazy. I admit that there were a few stories that made me cry. Most relevant/thought provoking is the Syrian clarinetist, Kinan Azmeh, especially since this was filmed over the last 4 years, I believe. A lot of the members of the Silk Road Ensemble were in attendance and Yo-Yo Ma even performed. It was a special afternoon. I recommend this film.
Quiet Icelandic film about the 40 year estrangement of two sheep farmer brothers who live side by side in a small town. I loved the landscape and feel of this movie. I felt it captured the uniqueness of Iceland and really made me want to return. The two brothers, Kiddi and Gummi, are probably in their 60's now, and quite eccentric. The way they go out of their way to never deal with each other is hilarious. But, of course, something happens that affects both of them, but will it bring them together or tear them apart? I really liked this film and, of course, a stupid woman from the audience wanted the ending explained to her. The filmmaker was very diplomatic. And then the host said something to the effect that this is not like a Hollywood film. Haha. Burn. It's been picked up by Mongrel so will probably come here.
Spanish comedy on speed about the taping of a New Year's Eve TV show ahead of time in October and the goings on behind the scenes. It was crazy and frenetic, but hilarious. Very entertaining but not deep at all. The guy above in the photo, Adanne, is like a hot young singer who gets himself in trouble with the ladies. The Fabio hair is hilarious but when I looked him up, dude is good looking. And that is what I kept thinking throughout this film, "Man, all these Spanish men are handsome." I need to go back to Spain, stat. Ha!
Chilean documentary about the disappearing Patagonian Indigenous people who were ocean travellers. Filmmaker, Patricio Guzman, juxtaposed it with the Pinochet regime political prisoners' disappearances. I liked it. Found the cultures and languages fascinating. It would be sad if they are lost completely.
Kind of predictable British baby thriller about the "interesting" tenants downstairs and how they affect the owners upstairs. I think I picked it because of David Morrissey. It was fine but feels more like a TV movie than a TIFF film. I kept waiting for there to be another twist, but it never happened.
Hokey French comedy which felt like a stereotypical Hollywood film with the lacking plot lines/motivations and the token Asian. And add the most nauseating ending ever...it just should have been a better film with the cast it had. I love Mathieu Amalric and God knows he did his best with the material but I felt Marine Vacth was beautiful but not the greatest actor, which was a problem since the whole storyline revolved around her. Ugh. I wanted to like it, I really did.
The first two episodes of the 2nd Season of the French TV series...I was disappointed. The first Season was so good too. I hate that nothing was answered or resolved, and they hopped 6 months ahead. You've got to give "something" when you make people wait 3 years between Seasons. We still have no clue why some dead people have returned and what is up with them. And where have others disappeared to? Too many questions! I want to be able to solve *something*!. I'm not sure doing TV premieres at TIFF works.







No comments:
Post a Comment