Worrisome
My Dad is in his early 70s. He's had a lot of health issues. He's also never had the greatest memory ever since I can remember. When I was young he would constantly forget the names of my friends, or phone numbers, or dates. It might have been because he was a workaholic and constantly busy with many things on his mind.
His memory is still not great. I am worried that it is getting worse and I'm not sure what to do. Is it normal aging or something more?
Tonight he went to his Camera Club Meeting and then I got a telephone call around 9:40PM saying he couldn't find his car key so he can't drive home. I tried to walk him through where he could have left it, told him to look again, and decided I would put my clothes on (I was already in my pyjamas getting comfy for the night) and come get him. I was annoyed because he had forgotten to bring his cell phone (which I bought him specifically so he would carry it with him whenever he was on the road) and his CAA card (which, come to think of it, would have done no good given he didn't actually lock his keys inside the car).
Luckily when I was headed to the garage, he called and said one of the other members found his key in the chair he was sitting. Oy! He doesn't know how it got there. I guess it could have fallen out of his pocket (though normally he attaches it to a chain attached to his belt) or he had it in his hand and forgot about it. It concerns me that he doesn't remember. But then he remembers all this other stuff which even I don't remember.
Am I worrying for nothing?
2 comments:
It is hard when our parents grow older and need our assistance, even though they remain our parents. I mean, they used to the ones we look to for everything...but I guess that is the circle of life. I hope that you will not worry too much, just try to take it in stride, that's what our parents would hope for us if they knew what they were putting us through.
Thanks Stef! I didn't know it was you at first...love astromei! I think my Dad maintaining his independence is really important to him, so I try not to let on that I'm worried about him. We all forget things, right?
Post a Comment