Royal Wedding Highlights & Lowlights
So, yes, I did watch William & Catherine get married. And yes, I did make food & drinks with a British theme. And yes, I did not sleep! Crazy! I made up for that fact this weekend, though.
Okay, the food:
I used a proper tablecloth but didn't bother to iron it! I made Finger Sandwiches. Just White Bread, Butter, Goat Cheese, Ham & Spinach. Also, Cheddar Cheese Scones, which don't look that pretty but man, they were good! I was supposed to use Blue Cheese in the recipe but didn't feel like running to the Grocery Store (even though I have like, two, near me) so I made do with Old Cheddar in my Fridge. I had Butter and Port Wine Jelly to use on the Scones. I made an Earl Grey/Jasmine tea, served with Milk & Sugar. And you can see my Breakfast Cocktail, to start (which we drank at 5:15AM!). It was Vodka, Limoncello, Lemon Juice and Prosecco. I didn't add any Simple Syrup, which made it more tart & refreshing. We liked it!
Dessert was a Limoncello Chocolate Soufflé but I made a bad decision by picking the wrong dish to bake it in. I was deciding between this one and a smaller clear one, and obviously should have gone with the smaller one so the Soufflé would have puffed up over the rim. Ah well, you live and learn. The Limoncello was pretty strong in this Dessert. Maybe a tad too boozy. It wasn't my fave and I probably wouldn't make it again.
I thought Kate Middleton looked lovely. Her wedding dress was beautiful (though not something I would wear myself as it's a little too conservative for me) and yes, very reminiscent of Grace Kelly's (minus the plunging v-neck).
See? Some similarity, no? Actually, my Mom wore something similar to her wedding too. She had a lace overlay top with 3/4 length sleeves and my Mom also did something shocking on her Wedding Day. She cut off all her hair into a bob! My Dad didn't recognize her coming down the aisle!
I think Kate chose something that she loved and was in keeping with her style. She seems to dress in a very classic way, not too shocking in colour or style.
And how cute were William & Kate's kisses? The coverage on CTV was hilarious (mainly due to Tracey Ullman) because people were betting on if the kiss would be slurpy (yes, that was the word used) or passionate or soft or quick. It was funny to hear!
Sitting with my friend, E, who is a few years older than me and single also, it was nice to see that we could enjoy a wedding and not be cynical or jaded about the whole thing. No, I don't believe in the whole Prince thing but I still like to think that maybe there is someone out there for me.
There were some terrible, terrible outfits at this Wedding.
I thought Princess Eugenie & Princess Beatrice looked awful. I know Eugenie's dress was a Vivienne Westwood but frankly, it did nothing for her. It made her look frumpy & dowdy. And Beatrice's outfit was pretty but my God, that Fascinator! She looked like a moose with antlers! I never understand these guests who come to a Wedding and seem to want to upstage the Bride?? It's like "Look at me!" Which is why I would never wear white to someone's Wedding. To me, white is reserved for the Bride. Or whatever colour she chooses to wear, I would try not to wear it.
I really hated Karen Gordon's hat (she is Charles Spencer's Fiancée). Sure, wear it on a bright, sunny day in the Garden when you don't want to get burned but at a Wedding? It drove me insane that all I could see was the bottom of her mouth & neck whenever the cameras would be on her & Charles. YUCK.
I didn't like Miriam Gonzalez's outfit because I thought it was too busy. The weird black tulle over the gray & black polka dot dress? The black leather gloves? The half black turban/half red flowered Fascinator? When I first saw her, I thought she looked like a Fortune Teller. Her husband, Nick Clegg, is kind of cute though. I have to say that, being Canadian and voting tomorrow for a new Prime Minister, some of the U.K. politicians are quite easy on the eyes. Why can't we have any half decent looking politicians in Canada?
I thought Joss Stone looked fabulous. See, I would totally wear that colour coral and I loved her peep toe shoes and little clutch. Plus her coat was cropped & had 3/4 length sleeves, very retro.
I liked what Zara Phillips was wearing, though I could never pull it off myself. I thought this Fascinator was fabulous and I liked the gun metal colour of her outfit.
Oh it's fun to critique, isn't it?










No comments:
Post a Comment