Friday, August 05, 2011

Experiments


My Mom has a whole bunch of bitter melons (aka goya, kerala & ampalaya) growing in the garden. 




I like it. Usually only eat it fresh in the Summer & make it with chicken. But I'm always trying to think of new recipes to try with Bitter Melon. I read about Okinawa's JEF BURGER (never been, but I do like MOS BURGER) and how their specialty is a Goya Omelette with Spam. Hmmm, has got me thinking. I need to try this! I've also seen a lot of recipes where people deep fry Bitter Melon coated with rice flour. But I think my favourite Bitter Melon dish was something I ate at the Chinese restaurant in my hometown (believe it or not). It was Bitter Melon & Pork Belly and it was sooooo good!


While looking for Bitter Melon recipes, I stumbled across some other recipes I'd like to try. More playful/kitschy than serious/healthy. Like Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats (cake, rice krispies, sprinkles, marshmallows, what's not to love?), Grilled Brie with Thyme, Honey & Fresh Figs (except I don't have a barbecue), Korean Cold Noodles and from The Futurist Cookbook by F.T. Marinetti, Vanilla Dairy Cream & little squares of Raw Onion frozen together. I'm very curious about the last one!


When I was in San Diego, the cool boutique hotel I stayed at had a free copy of imbibe. I've never read it before but man, I loved it! There is a recipe for Rhubarb Bitters that I want to try since I have a ton from Mom's garden. I like experimenting with cocktails and this is supposed to go well with vodka, gin, white rum or tequila.


I'm bartending a party for a friend this month and had to come up with a drink for the Birthday Boy and one for others to sip on. I'm thinking of a Tequila Cup for the Birthday Boy (he likes tequila, evidently, but I do not - worst drinking experience was with tequila) which has tequila, gin, lime juice & ginger beer. For others, I'm thinking Sangria made with strawberries & rosé or Vodka Spritzer made with Berries/Honeydew infused vodka, lemonade & soda water. It's fun to think of alcoholic beverages!


My little vent tonight is about a friend who is travelling to Korea and Japan. Her group of 4 have decided not to go to Tokyo because of the radiation tainted beef scare. I think this is so stupid for many reasons. First off, she doesn't know anyone in Tokyo nor has she spoken to anyone there to find out how they feel about the situation. She is basing it on the media reports, which we all know are completely accurate (rolling my eyes). Secondly, the radiation tainted beef does not come from Tokyo (obviously, but for some foreigners, not so obvious). There is a chance that some of the tainted beef made its way to Tokyo but you know what? If you are so concerned, just don't eat beef while you are there! Shockingly, there are lots of others foods you can eat for the whole 5 days you will be in Japan!! Lastly, I know her. Kyoto is a beautiful city but she is a modern girl and Tokyo would be it for her. It seems weird to me to visit Japan for the first time and NOT go to Tokyo. Kind of sad they will be missing out. 


Of course they are entitled to their opinion but it's things like this that just make me want to bang my head against a wall. I guess I'm obviously one of those people who would rather come to conclusions on my own after visiting a place & gathering the facts. I figure I would more than likely die of some other thing before I die of the radiation I could possibly be exposed to by visiting Tokyo. 


Sort of how I felt when I flew to China two months after 9/11. Everyone at work couldn't believe I would, gasp, get on a plane so soon, and to a foreign country. My take was, if it's my time, it's my time. I'm not going to stop living my life or stop doing the things I enjoy. At least I would die happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment