Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Busy But Still Have Obsessions

Too many to list but things have been hectic, hence the none blogging. I'm not a very good sewer but man, I love to look at patterns. More specifically, vintage patterns. Like 1930s to 1950s sewing patterns. Maybe one day I will take a good sewing class and learn how to make hard things. In the meantime, I will just dream about it. Or just, buy patterns I will never be able to sew.


I like this Carole Lombard pattern because of the cute bows. Kind of reminds me of the first dress I saw Jean Arthur wearing (that kind of made me fall in love with her in a non-lesbian way) in The More The Merrier (Columbia 1943). I tried to find a picture of her wearing that dress but instead, found this great candid from the movie where Director, George Stevens is directing Jean & Richard Gaines:



This dress is very Ruth Chatterton in Dodsworth (Samuel Goldwyn Company 1936). I could see it in silk.


I have no idea who Toby Wing is but I like the idea of the sleeve detail on this dress.


Don't know who Verree Teasdale is either (though I did IMDb and evidently she was married to Adolphe Menjou) but I like the cowl neck of this dress.


This gown is very Mildred Pierce. But maybe it needs more shoulder pads.


I would LOVE this in the light pink & black polka dots fabric. The black dress with the scalloped bodice is also beautiful.


Evidently this is a version of the dress Grace Kelly wore in Rear Window (Paramount 1954). See?



Love the layered look of the strapless dress overlayed with chiffon. And, you know, polka dots.


I would make this skirt as pouffy as possible. Cute detailing on the hem with black ribbon. And look how skinny her waist is. Mind you, my Mom had a 19 inch waist when she came to Canada.


I like how the women always had different coats to go over their dresses. Watch 1950s movies and you will really notice this.


To me, the perfect tea dress. Can I go to an afternoon tea party in this? Preferably out in a Garden with lots of roses.

Clearly, I was born at the wrong time.

No comments:

Post a Comment