Doesn't help that I'm feeling pretty down right now. The Winter has gone on so long & I'm just tired of it (and shovelling my parents' driveway/entrance). That ice storm back in December really messed up my left arm. I'm feeling sad about my Dad's continued declining health. Especially over the last 8 or 9 months. He is very frail & his walking is pretty bad. But his mental faculties are really good. And my Mom & I have been having a very strained relationship lately. I just can't deal with her "me" syndrome. I guess it's good I don't have a significant other to deal with on top of all this.
Oh, and my car died. I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it right away either. So far public transit is okay for out of the city, just longer. Already takes forever IN the city anyway.
We went for a belated Birthday Dim Sum for me over the weekend. Honestly, I wasn't really in the mood.
We went to a new-Dim-Sum-place-to-us and it was just okay.
But I did finally go to Chef Brad Long's Cafe Belong at The Brickworks. He has been at a few restaurants before this and I have always liked his food. No exceptions once again.
I went with Y & we split the Brussels Sprouts Salad to start. Really delicious! Although I had one British babysitter growing up who insisted on boiling the hell out of HER brussels sprouts, Brad did not. The salad also had blue cheese, garlic cloves, micro-greens, croutons & fried pork fat cubes. See, if I had the energy to make such salads, I'd eat this on a regular basis. Too much work! I had the Tempura Battered Lake Erie Perch & Fries for my Main. There is something about fresh fish from Ontario that is so yummy & so comforting. My Dad was a great fisherman & we would always eat fresh Perch or Bass in the Summer. THE BEST. Y had the Bison Bourguignon with Spaetzle. I think mine was the better choice. We split the Apple Caramel Tarte Tatin (not really a Tatin, more like a fluffy apple almond cake with sweet sliced poached apples and an amazing caramel sauce & cinnamon roasted almonds). I even drank an Americano. Weird me drinking coffee.
Even though I bitch about the back & forth with Daylight Savings, I AM glad for the later sunlight at the end of the day.
I am going to try REALLY hard to blog more in 2014. Even if it's short posts. And this one I did on my phone, so no excuses!


No comments:
Post a Comment