Monday, April 25, 2011

I Am Not Five


Thanks to Steph, I spent a bit of time tonight making a Princess Deb doll. (Thanks to her, I am also not using double spacing after periods anymore, a habit formed in Grade 9 Typing Class where I was THE BEST TYPER in my High School in Grades 9 & 10.) It was actually a good way to relax because I was feeling a little overwhelmed today. Sometimes I think I put more pressure on myself than other people do. 


When I was 5 years old, I really *did* own a Princess dress! My Mom bought me this pink confection with tulle & white felt dots that was long and perfect for playing dress up with my best friend, Leslie. I loved that dress so much! I even wore it for my Fairy Princess Hallowe'en costume where my Dad made me a magical star wand out of a chopstick & tin foil.


So here is Princess Deb:




Of course she has black hair & slanty eyes, like me! But rather than a pink poufy dress, I went with the colours I seem to like now, teal & burgundy (though fuschia & orange are up there too). I wanted sparkly shoes and have her under a Sakura tree. The blue bird is very Cinderella-esque, one of the two favourite fairy tales I liked as a child (the Ladybird classics which my Dad read to me every night. I'm sure he got sick of those stories!).


Speaking of Princesses, the first Royal Wedding I watched was when I was in elementary school. It was Princess Anne and Mark Phillips. I really don't remember it at all. I only remember we brought home a letter from school saying we could stay home and watch it. I remember Diana's and Sarah's much better. My BFF LOVED Diana's wedding dress and I remember I really didn't. My poufy stage disappeared probably when I was 10 and started picking skating costumes. I was in Junior High and the whole Charles & Diana romance was quite exciting to us, even though we both thought Andrew was the much better & hotter looking brother. Sarah's wedding took place while I was in Summer School and I remember a bunch of us watching it together. I know I did love her dress and thought it suited her. I also loved her red hair. I guess it's no surprise that I'll be watching William & Kate get married this Friday. Us Canadians still do love our Royals, though I'm not obsessive, like some!


E's going to come over early that morning (CTV coverage starts at 3AM!) and I'm going to do a British theme with food. Probably some Finger Sandwiches, Scones, a morning Cocktail like Bellinis or Kir Royale and I kind of want to make these Limoncello Soufflés I saw a recipe for (but worry about the timing because they fall so easily). It's going to be fun! But I will not be getting any sleep that night/day, I guess.


I didn't make an Easter Dinner this year. Frankly, I loved not having to make a big fuss. We went out to the Queen & Beaver and had their Prime Rib Dinners and Roast Leg of Lamb dinners for $26, including all the fixings like Roast Potatoes, Carrots, Brussel Sprouts, Green Beans, Yorkshire Puddings, Gravy, Horseradish & Mint Sauce. It was very very good & totally worth it! I only go there usually for snacks or traditional Pub food (think Scotch Egg, Welsh Rabbit, Cod Cheeks & Tongues) with Cask Beer, so it was great to try their Traditional Dinners. I would definitely eat them again & highly recommend them!


Oh, let me talk about an old movie!




Apartment For Peggy (20th Century Fox 1948) is actually a touching little gem of a movie, if you ignore Jeanne Crain.  I know I'm terrible for saying this, but I thought her acting was bad and she was the weak link in the film, even though she's supposed to be the main character. However, THANK GOD for William Holden & Edmund Gwenn because they made the film palatable. It was kind of scary how the tears would just creep up on me during certain scenes, when I least expected it. And usually the scenes had interaction between William & Edmund. The story is about Edmund's Prof. Henry Barnes, who is ready to commit suicide because he feels there is nothing left on this earth for him. Enter Jeanne's Peggy & William's Jason, who are starving young students, with a baby on the way, with no home to live in. Let's just say once they start sharing the same home as Henry, things change & are never the same again. I was curious as to where they shot the exteriors for this film, and evidently they were filmed at the University of Nevada.


And here's an interesting bit of trivia: Jeanne's son, Christopher Brinkman, was one of the original members of Jane's Addiction. Sadly, he died of a drug overdose at 31 years old.

2 comments:

Stephanie Perkins said...

Aw, I love Princess Deb! The dress is so beautiful. And I'm happy that she helped you relax. I hope the rest of your week calms down.

I'll be watching the royal wedding, too. I only wish it weren't so darn early in the morning for us North Americans! I think it's six a.m., my time? Something like that? I did not even know six a.m. WAS a time.

D said...

See, I didn't have to wake up @ 6AM because I pulled an all nighter! But the Wedding was lovely!

Post a Comment